I hope you enjoyed the first weekend of college football.
Here’s how the SEC stacks up after the first week of the season. I will update this on Monday morning every week.
1. Texas A&M — Boom! Where did that come from? Especially since few folks were expecting an offensive explosion in the absence of Johnny Manziel. The Aggies let everybody know they’ll be a force this season.
2. Georgia — If Texas A&M ruled the air, Georgia controlled the ground in its win over Clemson. Did Vince Dooley replace Mark Richt?
3. Auburn — Nick Marshall was voted preseason All-SEC. Just think. He might not be the best quarterback on his own team.
4. Alabama — Blake Sims was efficient, but the ground game proved the difference. The defense was exploited for the second straight game (remember Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl?).
5. LSU — Impressive moxie in rallying to defeat Wisconsin after being outplayed in the first half. Still, there’s a lot of work to be done for the young Tigers.
6. Mississippi State — A total beatdown of a downtrodden opponent in Southern Miss, but if Dak Prescott plays well, the Bulldogs could be a force in the West.
7. Ole Miss — Like LSU, another strong fourth-quarter performance, but Bo Wallace must cut down on his mistakes. He’ll keep hearing that until he does.
8. Tennessee — A healthy Justin Worley makes a huge difference for the Volunteers, who played with enthusiasm. Running game remains a question mark.
9. Arkansas — Initially, a strong showing by a program that didn’t win a conference game last year. Razorbacks should break 10-game losing streak vs. Nicholls State.
10. Missouri — The Tigers finally put it together in the second half, but it was a little sketchy for a while. Defense appears to need some work.
11. Kentucky — Everything was working against FCS team Tennessee-Martin. I doubt life will be so rosy every week for the Wildcats.
12. Florida — I was looking forward to seeing Florida’s revamped offense. Maybe it won’t storm in Gainesville this weekend.
13. South Carolina — Was that that same South Carolina program we’ve watched the past few years? An APB was issued after the opening debacle.
14. Vanderbilt — Oh wow! What was that? If you didn’t stay up to watch Vandy’s performance, don’t worry, you saved yourself. It can only get better, right?