breaking news

Possibility of snow moving into metro Atlanta this afternoon

Conference commissioners discuss making freshmen ineligible

View Caption Hide Caption
Samaje Perine's freshman season included setting the FBS record for rushing yards in a game. (AP photo)

Samaje Perine’s freshman season included setting the FBS record for rushing yards in a game. (AP photo)

Todd Gurley would have been on the sidelines in 2012.

College basketball’s one-and-done would be done.

Oklahoma’s Samaje Perine wouldn’t have set the FBS single-game rushing record in November.

Discussions about making freshmen ineligible in football and college basketball are on the rise among conference commissioners, with the Pac-12 and Big Ten taking the lead on the heated topic.

The Big Ten told ESPN.com that it is “gauging interest” about a “national discussion regarding a year of readiness for student-athletes.”

Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott told CBSSports.com last week that he has “had conversations with several commissioners about (freshman ineligibility). … And I think you will see much more serious conversations about it in the coming months and year.”

“If they do well because they spend more time, get more academic advising … their freshman year, they’re going to graduate,” Maryland president Wallace Loh told the Maryland Diamondback, the student newspaper. “And I think it’s worth spending an extra year of financial support to ensure that they graduate.”

The paper reported that Maryland’s “University Athletic Council met (Thursday) afternoon to discuss a proposal the Big Ten is titling ‘A Year of Readiness,’ which equates to a mandatory redshirt season to examine ‘the health of the educational experience.’ ”

Iowa football coach Kirk Ferentz told ESPN.com: “That would be one of the healthiest things we could do for college sports right now. Recruiting’s kind of a runaway train, and what a lot of people don’t consider is there’s a lot of serious pressure that’s put on some players’ shoulders that I’m not sure is healthy for them big picture-wise. … It would allow the guy to transition a little bit with a lot less fanfare and get their feet on the ground and get a good foundation established.”

Freshmen were ineligible in football and basketball until 1972.

What do you think?

View Comments 1